Thursday, April 26, 2007

In Particular

I blamed my cube mate for getting me into the particular habit of using this one particular word to particular excess. When writing a any particular essay, if a particular word is repeated particularly often, i'd look it up in a thesaurus and consider a synonym. When speaking, there's much less editing, and any particular word that comes to mind comes out of the mouth.

But this particular word isn't my cube mate's fault, or at least, not exclusively. It seems to have infected many people. I hear it in podcasts. Live interviews, that is interviews without a script, seem to be filled with this one particular word.

I've not looked it up in a thesaurus. I know a synonym that fills the same purpose. Silence. Read this again, but skip that one word each time it occurs. Does it still make sense?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this particular word is used in place of another particular participle which is not commonly regarded as a signal of intelligent speech, let alone intelligent life. I shall now re-post your essay about this particular word with the offending word replaced by what is generally going through my mind whenever I use particular:

"In uh...

I blamed my cube mate for getting me into the uh... habit of using this one uh... word to uh... excess. When writing a any uh... essay, if a uh... word is repeated uh...ly often, i'd look it up in a thesaurus and consider a synonym. When speaking, there's much less editing, and any uh... word that comes to mind comes out of the mouth.

But this uh... word isn't my cube mate's fault, or at least, not exclusively. It seems to have infected many people. I hear it in podcasts. Live interviews, that is interviews without a script, seem to be filled with this one uh... word.

I've not looked it up in a thesaurus. I know a synonym that fills the same purpose. Silence. Read this again, but skip that one word each time it occurs. Does it still make sense?"