Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Trying even harder

It's not very busy, so, there i am, cruising down the highway, with the cruise control set to nearly 10 mph below the limit. Invariably, after a while, someone will slowly creep up and sit there in my blind spot. I know they're there, but i have to lean while looking in the rear view mirror, or actually turn around once in awhile to make sure. Its intimidating - more than tailgating. After a bit, they seem to understand that something is odd, and they speed up to pass. Fine. That's what I wanted, really. If they pass me, then i have the right of way, and they have to navigate it. But as often as not, after putting on a brief burst of speed, they then hang just in front of me, so that i'm in their blind spot. Its almost as if since they can no longer see me, it no longer matters. Out of sight, out of mind. After a couple minutes, they'll often sense that something is wrong, and plow ahead. Yet, being in someone else's blind spot isn't their fault - its mine. If they wait too long, i'll change my cruise setting. Either i'll kick it out for a bit, or coast down to an even slower speed. It just goes to show that if you work real hard, you can intimidate a cruise control after all.

No comments: